It seems like every year I start to commit to the organization of my card collection. Cards get sorted, boxed, etc. Then I begin to think, "What are my collecting goals?" As far as cards go, it has always been my George Brett PC and to complete a run of Topps sets from 1973 to the present. Then I head to my LCS or local show and buy something outside of these goals and the card piles begin again.
I used to limit my online card hunts to eBay, COMC, and other card blogs. Last year I ventured into finding collectors via Twitter. I quickly realized that my organization was very counter-productive to trading with others. Sure, there are set collectors out there, but what I found were many more team collectors that made my search for trade-worthy material painful. If I need a stack of Red Sox, it would take me hours to search everything that has been numerically ordered by individual sets. Need a David Ortiz? Let me pull out the SCD Standard Catalog and look up those card numbers, then go to the right box, only to realize I don't have that card. Does it really make sense to put my eighteen 1983 Topps Bucky Dent #565 cards next to my seven Manny Sarmiento #566 cards??? Probably not! Especially since my 1983 Topps set has been completed for many years.
So I begin the painful reorganization of many boxes of cards. My plan is to pull any singles that I need to complete my sets that I am working on. Then take the other cards and start dividing them into teams but also setting aside star players from each team. This should only take me 5 or 10 years.....
So here is my new updated list of collecting goals which is much more in tune with what I actually collect. In order, my current collecting goals are:
1. George Brett PC
- This blog will continue to feature posts of all my George Brett cards in my PC. I post the new featured cards on this page.
2. 1956 Topps Set.
- When complete, I will pick another pre-1973 set to work on. My set want list will continue to be updated here.
3. Royals Bobbleheads.
- I have every SGA bobblehead from Royals home games. You will most likely see something about this in the future.
4. Salvador Perez PC
- My newest Royal PC. These may not appear on my blog but I will continue to search for cards that I don't have.
5. Royals Team Sets from 1969-present.
- My Royals Team Set want list will be updated here as I work on the organization of my collection.
6. Topps Sets from 1973 to present.
- I still need a few more, but will probably just purchase complete sets to fill in what I don't have.
7. Autographed OMLB from each member of the 2015 World Series Champions.
- Currently over halfway there.
8. 2000 Upper Deck Legends Legendary Jersey Subset
- Started this probably 10 years ago. I have posted about this before, although not recently because I am down to needing the Musial, Mays, and Gehrig cards which are rarely seen and will require $$$. My collection can be seen here although I see this needs to be updated.
9. 2013 Upper Deck Lettermen Collin Klein
- I NEED the "A". Who has it?